The City Park in Skopje is the largest in Macedonia and dates back to the 19th century. After the construction of the Vocational School "Islahane", the Skopje Wali Hafiz Mehmed-Paša ordered the construction of a park near the school. The initial area covered by the park was 16,000 m2.
The expansion of the park began in 1923 when an Austrian gardener expanded it to the present-day Zoo. Then, in 1925, it was re-expanded in the style called "French school" by the engineer Protic, who organized the City Greenery Administration. Already in 1931, the park occupied the entire space to the canal near the embankment, and in 1933 the paths throughout the park were determined. In 1941, the first part of the park was finalized, and the systematic arrangement of the second part began with the arrival of Slavko Karaman, PhD as director of the Zoo. During his term, the water irrigation system from Rover Vardar was developed, the paths were constructed, and there is an enrichment of the flora in the park.
During the war, from 1941 to 1945, the park ceased to expand and was directly damaged because it served to camouflage enemy army units. After the end of the war and the liberation, the park was expanded by an additional 114 hectares, followed by its complete renovation and general construction.
In 1963, as a result of the earthquake, the riverbed of River Vardar was regulated to prevent future floods. However, this also had consequences for the old trees, which dried up due to the lowering of the groundwater after the regulation of the riverbed, and this caused for the new unit of the Park to collapse.
The current shape of the park dates back to 1970 when the embankment was completed. Today, the city park covers an area of 486,000 m2, which stretches between Leninova Street in the east, October Revolution Boulevard in the west, River Vardar in the north and Ilinden Boulevard in the south.